Travel+Leisure: Best Disney Restaurants
Keane
2013-07-30 19:18:44 UTC
Another drive-by posting...

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/best-disney-restaurants

I actually agree with most of the ones at WDW.

Like that the turkey leg cart is one of the best restaurants.
BWAhahahaha....

Keane
--
This message originated on the Usenet group
rec.arts.disney.parks. See RADP.org for more info.

When stars are born, They possess a gift or two,
One of them is this, They have the power to make a wish come true...
-- Wishes Visit my site: http://keanespics.com
Meerkat
2013-07-30 22:43:17 UTC
Post by Keane
Another drive-by posting...
http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/best-disney-restaurants
I actually agree with most of the ones at WDW.
Like that the turkey leg cart is one of the best restaurants.
BWAhahahaha....
Keane
My adult daughter agrees that the turkey leg cart is one of the best.
--
Meerkat1 - Chief Engineer
RADP Pavilion
Patty Winter
2013-07-30 23:33:37 UTC
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?

Patty
Lisa Cubbon
2013-07-31 01:13:25 UTC
Post by Patty Winter
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?
Patty
oooh, Ghiradelli opened a soda shop/store at an outlet mall not far from
here.

I know how to apply the Russo rule at WDW. But can I do that at home??

Lisa
Steve Russo
2013-07-31 12:54:58 UTC
Post by Lisa Cubbon
Post by Patty Winter
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?
Patty
oooh, Ghiradelli opened a soda shop/store at an outlet mall not far from
here.
I know how to apply the Russo rule at WDW. But can I do that at home??
Lisa
OK but it would become the Cubbon Rule at home.
Steve
Keane
2013-07-31 20:20:52 UTC
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Lisa Cubbon
Post by Patty Winter
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?
Patty
oooh, Ghiradelli opened a soda shop/store at an outlet mall not far from
here.
I know how to apply the Russo rule at WDW. But can I do that at home??
Lisa
OK but it would become the Cubbon Rule at home.
Isn't that like plagiarism or something?

You mean no one here is a Turtle?

Keane

Steve Russo
2013-07-31 20:22:40 UTC
Post by Keane
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Lisa Cubbon
Post by Patty Winter
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?
Patty
oooh, Ghiradelli opened a soda shop/store at an outlet mall not far from
here.
I know how to apply the Russo rule at WDW. But can I do that at home??
Lisa
OK but it would become the Cubbon Rule at home.
Isn't that like plagiarism or something?
You mean no one here is a Turtle?
Keane
I'm not even sure what that means.
Steve
Keane
2013-07-31 21:40:15 UTC
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:22:40 +0000 (UTC), Steve Russo
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Keane
You mean no one here is a Turtle?
I'm not even sure what that means.
Wow. What kind of deprived youth did you have?

Unfortunately, all the entrance questions have entered
the everyday lexicon of jokedom, but once upon a time,
they filled the gutter so full I had to sell parking spaces.

I should really start that RADP chapter...

=============

THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF TURTLES

1. In order to raise the cultural level of conversation, the common
usage of four letter Anglo Saxon words must be terminated. As all
members are of clean mind, to become an official Turtle, the person
must solve the following riddles with clean-minded answers.

1. What is it a man can do standing up, a woman do sitting down and
a dog do on three legs?
2. What is it that a cow has four of and a woman has two of?
3. What is a four letter word ending in "k" that means the same as
intercourse?
4. What is on a man that is round, hard and sticks so far out of
his pajamas that you can hang a had on it?
5. What goes in hard and firm and comes out soft and sticky?

2. We assume that all Turtles own a Jack Ass, or are honorary owners
of a Jack Ass, or own an honorary Jack Ass. On this assumption is the
reason for the password. The password must be given if you are ever
asked by a fellow member, "Are you a Turtle?" You MUST then reply,
"You bet your sweet ass I am." If you do not give the password in
full because of embarrassment or other reason, you forfeit a beverage
of his choice. So always remember the password.

3. You are now a member of the Turtle Club. Govern yourself
accordingly and procure new members.

=================

Of course it's a drinking thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_and_Honorable_Order_of_Turtles#Historical_references

Keane

Rudeney
2013-08-02 14:22:32 UTC
Post by Keane
THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF TURTLES
1. In order to raise the cultural level of conversation, the common
usage of four letter Anglo Saxon words must be terminated. As all
members are of clean mind, to become an official Turtle, the person
must solve the following riddles with clean-minded answers.
1. What is it a man can do standing up, a woman do sitting down and
a dog do on three legs?
funxr unaqf
Post by Keane
2. What is it that a cow has four of and a woman has two of?
yrtf
Post by Keane
3. What is a four letter word ending in "k" that means the same as
intercourse?
gnyx
Post by Keane
4. What is on a man that is round, hard and sticks so far out of
his pajamas that you can hang a had on it?
uvf urnq
Post by Keane
5. What goes in hard and firm and comes out soft and sticky?
Some also enjoy blowing it....it's:

ohooyr thz
Post by Keane
2. We assume that all Turtles own a Jack Ass, or are honorary owners
of a Jack Ass, or own an honorary Jack Ass. On this assumption is the
reason for the password. The password must be given if you are ever
asked by a fellow member, "Are you a Turtle?" You MUST then reply,
"You bet your sweet ass I am." If you do not give the password in
full because of embarrassment or other reason, you forfeit a beverage
of his choice. So always remember the password.
3. You are now a member of the Turtle Club. Govern yourself
accordingly and procure new members.
=================
Of course it's a drinking thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_and_Honorable_Order_of_Turtles#Historical_references
LOL! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Keane. I had really forgotten all
about this. A former boss from years ago inducted me into the club.
--
- RODNEY

Next WDW Vacation?
Who knows!

Need to know more about RADP (rec.arts.disney.parks)?

http://www.radp.org
http://allears.net/btp/radp_bk.htm
http://allears.net/tp/abrev.htm

Are you still accessing RADP via Google? Why?
Get instructions on how to access to the "real"
RADP Usenet Group here:

http://meets.radp.org/usenet.htm
Keane
2013-08-03 09:15:25 UTC
Post by Rudeney
LOL! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Keane. I had really forgotten all
about this. A former boss from years ago inducted me into the club.
And you didn't answer with the correct password?

You owe me a drink, sir...

Keane

Rudeney
2013-08-05 14:56:57 UTC
Post by Keane
Post by Rudeney
LOL! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Keane. I had really forgotten all
about this. A former boss from years ago inducted me into the club.
And you didn't answer with the correct password?
You owe me a drink, sir...
Actually, I think I owe you more than one...

Meerkat
2013-08-01 01:38:47 UTC
Post by Keane
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Lisa Cubbon
Post by Patty Winter
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?
Patty
oooh, Ghiradelli opened a soda shop/store at an outlet mall not far from
here.
I know how to apply the Russo rule at WDW. But can I do that at home??
Lisa
OK but it would become the Cubbon Rule at home.
Isn't that like plagiarism or something?
You mean no one here is a Turtle?
Keane
OK. I want a Beaver Tail!!!
--
Meerkat1 - Chief Engineer
RADP Pavilion
Lisa Cubbon
2013-08-01 15:51:26 UTC
Post by Keane
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Lisa Cubbon
Post by Patty Winter
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?
Patty
oooh, Ghiradelli opened a soda shop/store at an outlet mall not far from
here.
I know how to apply the Russo rule at WDW. But can I do that at home??
Lisa
OK but it would become the Cubbon Rule at home.
I would be honored to have the Cubbon Rule... Now I gotta scheme to get
up there.... BUT I have always JUST had Ghiradelli at WDW, DL or in
San Francisco, Mecca.

Lisa
Keane
Steve Russo
2013-08-02 11:34:20 UTC
Post by Lisa Cubbon
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Lisa Cubbon
Post by Patty Winter
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?
Patty
oooh, Ghiradelli opened a soda shop/store at an outlet mall not far from
here.
I know how to apply the Russo rule at WDW. But can I do that at home??
Lisa
OK but it would become the Cubbon Rule at home.
I would be honored to have the Cubbon Rule... Now I gotta scheme to get
up there.... BUT I have always JUST had Ghiradelli at WDW, DL or in
San Francisco, Mecca.
Yeah, it's not a WDW trip anymore without a stop at Ghirardelli. In a
former life, I'd get to San Francisco 4-5 times per year. Sadly, I
haven't been back in almost 20 years - something I need to remedy.
Steve
Steve Russo
2013-07-31 12:54:32 UTC
Post by Patty Winter
I've been to about 2/3 of those places. I've scanned the menu at the
Cozy Cone but not eaten there. Florida also has a Ghirardelli shop,
which the writer should have mentioned. Isn't there also a Dole Whip
stand in WDW?
Patty
Yes. Aloha Isle in Adventureland. They're also available at the
Polynesian resort.
Steve
Rudeney
2013-07-31 16:08:21 UTC
Post by Keane
Another drive-by posting...
http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/best-disney-restaurants
I actually agree with most of the ones at WDW.
Like that the turkey leg cart is one of the best restaurants.
BWAhahahaha....
Keane
Well, here's the list in a more concise form:

* Enchanted Tiki Room, Adventureland, Disneyland
* Flying Fish Café, Disney’s BoardWalk
* Rose & Crown, England World Showcase, Epcot
* Cinderella’s Royal Table, Magic Kingdom
* Jiko, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney World
* Beaches & Cream Soda Shop, Yacht Club Resort, Disney World
* Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant, Disney Studios
* Kouzzina by Cat Cora, Disney’s BoardWalk
* 50’s Prime Time Café, Disney Studios
* Liberty Tree Tavern, Magic Kingdom
* Victoria & Albert’s Restaurant, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney World
* Blue Bayou Restaurant, Pirates of the Caribbean, Disneyland
* Napa Rose, Grand Californian Hotel, Disneyland
* Turkey Leg Wagon, Frontierland, Disney World
* Carnation Café, Main Street U.S.A, Disneyland
* Hollywood Brown Derby, Disney Studios
* Biergarten, Epcot
* California Grill, Contemporary Resort
* Plaza Restaurant, Magic Kingdom
* Polynesian Luau Dinner Show, Polynesian Resort
* Wolfgang Puck’s Grand Cafe, Downtown Disney
* Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop, Disney’s California Adventure
* Cozy Cone Motel, Disney’s California Adventure
* Sleepy Hollow, Magic Kingdom
* Columbia Harbour House, Magic Kingdom
* Restaurant Marrakesh, Epcot
* Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park

Rudeney
2013-07-31 16:23:33 UTC
Post by Rudeney
* Enchanted Tiki Room, Adventureland, Disneyland
I've not eaten there.
Post by Rudeney
* Flying Fish Café, Disney’s BoardWalk
This restaurant had good atmosphere and decent food, but the prices were, of
course "Disneyfied". I would compare this to Bonefish Grill.
Post by Rudeney
* Rose & Crown, England World Showcase, Epcot
Yes, very good food and atmosphere.
Post by Rudeney
* Cinderella’s Royal Table, Magic Kingdom
We've done the breakfast there and it was good and entertaining, though again,
priced high due to the location.
Post by Rudeney
* Jiko, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney World
Haven't done that yet, but from the reports here, it's a must-do.
Post by Rudeney
* Beaches & Cream Soda Shop, Yacht Club Resort, Disney World
I'd agree - good food (especially when enacting the Russo Rule).
Post by Rudeney
* Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant, Disney Studios
Based on reviews here, I've always passed on this place. The menu looked OK,
but we really aren't into the theme, and there is better fast-food to be had
on property at better prices.
Post by Rudeney
* Kouzzina by Cat Cora, Disney’s BoardWalk
Haven't done that yet.
Post by Rudeney
* 50’s Prime Time Café, Disney Studios
I agree - good food and service with a fun theme. Prices are a bit high, but
not too bad.
Post by Rudeney
* Liberty Tree Tavern, Magic Kingdom
Food and theme is decent, but without the characters it would just be an
overpriced Cracker Barrel.
Post by Rudeney
* Victoria & Albert’s Restaurant, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney World
Haven't dfone this (my wife hates "gourmet fru-fru food").
Post by Rudeney
* Blue Bayou Restaurant, Pirates of the Caribbean, Disneyland
Nope, haven't done this one, either, but I've seen it and it looks like a
great theme.
Post by Rudeney
* Napa Rose, Grand Californian Hotel, Disneyland
Nor this one.
Post by Rudeney
* Turkey Leg Wagon, Frontierland, Disney World
I agree - some of the best food on property!
Post by Rudeney
* Carnation Café, Main Street U.S.A, Disneyland
Not done.
Post by Rudeney
* Hollywood Brown Derby, Disney Studios
Not done, but I hear it's good, though incredibly overpriced.
Post by Rudeney
* Biergarten, Epcot
Good food and decent prices.
Post by Rudeney
* California Grill, Contemporary Resort
It was good, but nothing spectacular. Location influences the high prices.
Post by Rudeney
* Plaza Restaurant, Magic Kingdom
Good, but nothing to write home about.
Post by Rudeney
* Polynesian Luau Dinner Show, Polynesian Resort
When we did this years ago (maybe 10?) it was very good - food and
entertainment. The price was a bit high, but as expected at Disney. In fact,
having been to a few "toursity" luaus in Hawaii, I'd say Disney did it much
better.
Post by Rudeney
* Wolfgang Puck’s Grand Cafe, Downtown Disney
Yep, very good and actually a decent value (even at Puck and Disney prices)
Post by Rudeney
* Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop, Disney’s California Adventure
I haven't been to the DLR version, but the WDW-DD version is excellent - a staple.
Post by Rudeney
* Cozy Cone Motel, Disney’s California Adventure
Haven't done this yet.
Post by Rudeney
* Sleepy Hollow, Magic Kingdom
For some reason, I've always bypassed this one.
Post by Rudeney
* Columbia Harbour House, Magic Kingdom
Good, but was better before they tossed the bread bowls. It's one of the best
counter service restaurants in the WDW MK, but that's not saying much.
Post by Rudeney
* Restaurant Marrakesh, Epcot
Haven't eaten there, but I;ve heard good things about it, so it's on the to-do
list (it will have to be solo, though, as my wife said she didn;t like the menu).
Post by Rudeney
* Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park
There is very little I like about this restaurant. The food is mediocre and
overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by saying it's difficult to impress
a Southerner with barbeque. You can't swing a dead cat around here without
hitting two barbeque joints, and most of them are very good. In fact, I can
only think of one (Sonny's, a chain) that I don't like.

Patty Winter
2013-07-31 17:52:18 UTC
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Enchanted Tiki Room, Adventureland, Disneyland
I've not eaten there.
But have you had a Dole Whip at WDW? As I mentioned, it's the same thing.
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Jiko, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney World
Haven't done that yet, but from the reports here, it's a must-do.
Yes, delicious food!
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant, Disney Studios
Based on reviews here, I've always passed on this place. The menu looked OK,
but we really aren't into the theme, and there is better fast-food to be had
on property at better prices.
Yeah, really no reason to eat there unless you want to watch the trailers.
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Blue Bayou Restaurant, Pirates of the Caribbean, Disneyland
Nope, haven't done this one, either, but I've seen it and it looks like a
great theme.
It is! You gotta try it sometime.
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Napa Rose, Grand Californian Hotel, Disneyland
Nor this one.
Wonderful food.
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Hollywood Brown Derby, Disney Studios
Not done, but I hear it's good, though incredibly overpriced.
It's been several years since I ate there and I don't remember
it being quite that expensive, but all of us really liked our
meals.
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Restaurant Marrakesh, Epcot
Haven't eaten there, but I;ve heard good things about it, so it's on the to-do
list (it will have to be solo, though, as my wife said she didn;t like the menu).
Very tasty. Do give it a go.
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park
There is very little I like about this restaurant. The food is mediocre and
overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by saying it's difficult to impress
a Southerner with barbeque.
Ah, okay, I guess that's why I like it better than you do. Also, the
seating area has gorgeous views of the lake and Expedition Everest.

Patty
Rudeney
2013-08-02 14:04:53 UTC
Post by Patty Winter
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Enchanted Tiki Room, Adventureland, Disneyland
I've not eaten there.
But have you had a Dole Whip at WDW? As I mentioned, it's the same thing.
Sorry, and I know I will probably be banned for this, but I do not like Dole
Whips! They remind me too much of congealed salad, which I also do not like.
Post by Patty Winter
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Blue Bayou Restaurant, Pirates of the Caribbean, Disneyland
Nope, haven't done this one, either, but I've seen it and it looks like a
great theme.
It is! You gotta try it sometime.
I definitely will, on my next trip to DLR - whenever that might be! :-(
Post by Patty Winter
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Hollywood Brown Derby, Disney Studios
Not done, but I hear it's good, though incredibly overpriced.
It's been several years since I ate there and I don't remember
it being quite that expensive, but all of us really liked our
meals.
I just remember looking at the menu and thinking, "$30 for a pork chop??"
Post by Patty Winter
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park
There is very little I like about this restaurant. The food is mediocre and
overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by saying it's difficult to impress
a Southerner with barbeque.
Ah, okay, I guess that's why I like it better than you do. Also, the
seating area has gorgeous views of the lake and Expedition Everest.
Last time I was there, the seating are was nasty - it looked like it hadn't
been cleaned since it was built 9sort of like an outdoor pavilion version of
Pecos Bill).

Tom Moeller
2013-08-01 01:35:38 UTC
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park
There is very little I like about this restaurant. The food is mediocre and
overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by saying it's difficult to impress
a Southerner with barbeque. You can't swing a dead cat around here without
hitting two barbeque joints, and most of them are very good. In fact, I can
only think of one (Sonny's, a chain) that I don't like.
Rudeney, king of typo announcers, managed to cut&paste, post here, and
recomment on his own post, without noticing that the tree is now on fire? My
2002 AK guidemap says it's called Flame Tree Barbeque. Then again, the map
doesn't show a bridge between Tarzan Rocks! and Asia, which stops at Kali
River Rapids. Maybe the tree ignited sometime in the last decade?

-tom
Rudeney
2013-08-02 14:25:02 UTC
Post by Tom Moeller
Post by Rudeney
Post by Rudeney
* Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park
There is very little I like about this restaurant. The food is mediocre and
overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by saying it's difficult to impress
a Southerner with barbeque. You can't swing a dead cat around here without
hitting two barbeque joints, and most of them are very good. In fact, I can
only think of one (Sonny's, a chain) that I don't like.
Rudeney, king of typo announcers, managed to cut&paste, post here, and
recomment on his own post, without noticing that the tree is now on fire? My
2002 AK guidemap says it's called Flame Tree Barbeque. Then again, the map
doesn't show a bridge between Tarzan Rocks! and Asia, which stops at Kali
River Rapids. Maybe the tree ignited sometime in the last decade?
Well, everyone says it always feels hotter at AK than any other park...(yes, I
just have to keep you guys on your toes). :-)

Steve Denham
2013-08-01 11:53:44 UTC
On 7/31/2013 11:08 AM, Rudeney wrote: > My take: > * Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park There is very little I like about this restaurant. The food is mediocre and overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by saying it's difficult to impress a Southerner with barbeque. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting two barbeque joints, and most of them are very good. In fact, I can only think of one (Sonny's, a chain) that I don't like. -- -
Um, I realize that I was a Yankee for the seven years I lived in Florida, but I did come to like Sonny's a lot. And on the last two trips back, the first place I stopped at after picking up the rental car was at Sonny's. So, as a former Gainesvillain (home of the original Sonny's), give your reason for the dislike, Sir!

Steve Denham
TDC Barbie Headhunter
John Mc.
2013-08-01 12:54:28 UTC
Post by Steve Denham
On 7/31/2013 11:08 AM, Rudeney wrote: > My take: > * Flaming Tree BBQ,
Animal Kingdom Park There is very little I like about this restaurant.
The food is mediocre and overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by
saying it's difficult to impress a Southerner with barbeque. You can't
swing a dead cat around here without hitting two barbeque joints, and
most of them are very good. In fact, I can only think of one (Sonny's, a
chain) that I don't like. -- -
Um, I realize that I was a Yankee for the seven years I lived in Florida,
but I did come to like Sonny's a lot. And on the last two trips back,
the first place I stopped at after picking up the rental car was at
Sonny's. So, as a former Gainesvillain (home of the original Sonny's),
give your reason for the dislike, Sir!
Steve Denham
TDC Barbie Headhunter
I'm with Steve. Other than the now closed franchise near Kissimmee I've
never had a bad experience. So be specific.

John Mc.
Keane
2013-08-01 20:32:30 UTC
Post by John Mc.
Post by Steve Denham
[...]
Some just don't care for Memphis style BBQ. I prefer North Carolina,
myself. But I've eaten at Sonny's in Cocoa Beach, and it wasn't bad.

Not defending Rodney here, since he dug out half his grave, I'll let
him finish digging...

(There's a moral here. Don't diss other's BBQ. It a personal
thing... ;-) )

Keane

Rudeney
2013-08-02 14:52:56 UTC
Post by Keane
Post by John Mc.
Post by Steve Denham
[...]
I think there's some debate about what the actual "styles" are, but the
differences are all in the sauce. As in my reply to Steve, most all smoked
meat is equal, it's just the seasoning and sauces. What I have always
understood "Memphis Style" to be is the dry rub like the ribs at the famous
Rendezvous. Caroline style is the sweet, thick molasses-based sauce. Then
there's the thin vinegar based sauce that some people call "Northern Style",
or "Ollie's Style" or even "Birmingham Style" (as in Ollie's that used to be
here in B'ham). There is even "white sauce" that's not like a gravy, but
truly white instead of reddish-brown because there's no tomato sauce in it.

I like most all of those, though I'm not so fond of the thick sweet sauce. I
want my sauce to be spicy, not sweet (that's why I like Jim-n-Nicks habenero
sauce) and just barely thick enough to stay on the meat long enough to make it
to my mouth without dripping. In fact, I usually ask for dry meat with sauce
on the side, then I dip. I've tried to make my own sauce, but I never get it
quite right - it always turns out to be "too much" of something. And given
that it's hard to make a tiny batch, it's just too much trouble so I stick
with the stuff I like that I can buy in a bottle (most all barbeque places
sell their sauce).

As for sauces, there are these "gourmet" concoctions and then there is
glorified ketchup, like Kraft barbeque sauce. Many of these literally are
just ketchup + molasses. That's pretty much what the sauce at Sonny's and
(back on-topic) Flame Tree reminds me of.
Post by Keane
(There's a moral here. Don't diss other's BBQ. It a personal
thing... ;-) )
Oh, I don't have a problem with someone liking Sonny's or Flame Tree or even
Kraft carp in a bottle. If that's what you like, then enjoy it. People make
fun of me because I like Johnnie Walker Red over Black. It's just my tastes.

Steve Russo
2013-08-02 16:19:43 UTC
Post by Rudeney
Post by Keane
(There's a moral here. Don't diss other's BBQ. It a personal
thing... ;-) )
Oh, I don't have a problem with someone liking Sonny's or Flame Tree or even
Kraft carp in a bottle.
If Kraft is bottling fish, I want no part of it.

Post by Rudeney
fun of me because I like Johnnie Walker Red over Black. It's just my tastes.
Yet a single mention of Bud Light...
Steve
Keane
2013-08-03 10:50:16 UTC
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Rudeney
Post by Keane
(There's a moral here. Don't diss other's BBQ. It a personal
thing... ;-) )
Oh, I don't have a problem with someone liking Sonny's or Flame Tree or even
Kraft carp in a bottle.
If Kraft is bottling fish, I want no part of it.
I wonder if there's a Kraft subsidiary in Asia making fish sauce. They
might make a worcestershire sauce. (Anchovies..)

Now, if we could get them to bottle Asian Carp, we could solve
a problem we have here.
Post by Rudeney
fun of me because I like Johnnie Walker Red over Black. It's just my tastes.
Yet a single mention of Bud Light...
Well, Walker Red will grow hair on your chest. And maybe your palms.
Maybe even your fingernails. But Bud Light... The best part about
But Light are their TV commercials...

(Am I being to harsh?)

Keane

Rudeney
2013-08-05 15:02:23 UTC
Post by Keane
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Rudeney
Post by Keane
(There's a moral here. Don't diss other's BBQ. It a personal
thing... ;-) )
Oh, I don't have a problem with someone liking Sonny's or Flame Tree or even
Kraft carp in a bottle.
If Kraft is bottling fish, I want no part of it.
I wonder if there's a Kraft subsidiary in Asia making fish sauce. They
might make a worcestershire sauce. (Anchovies..)
Now, if we could get them to bottle Asian Carp, we could solve
a problem we have here.
Here you go:

(well maybe not carp in a bottle, but a bottle in the shape of a carp).
Post by Rudeney
fun of me because I like Johnnie Walker Red over Black. It's just my tastes.
Yet a single mention of Bud Light...
Well, Walker Red will grow hair on your chest. And maybe your palms.
Maybe even your fingernails. But Bud Light... The best part about
But Light are their TV commercials...
(Am I being to harsh?)
No, if anything, not hash enough!

Rudeney
2013-08-05 14:56:09 UTC
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Rudeney
Post by Keane
(There's a moral here. Don't diss other's BBQ. It a personal
thing... ;-) )
Oh, I don't have a problem with someone liking Sonny's or Flame Tree or even
Kraft carp in a bottle.
If Kraft is bottling fish, I want no part of it.
Well, ketchup was originally a fish sauce....

(DAMMIT!)
Post by Rudeney
fun of me because I like Johnnie Walker Red over Black. It's just my tastes.
Yet a single mention of Bud Light...
You brought it up this time! And honestly, I don't think there is any Scotch
that is so bad as to deserve the title, "The Bud Light of Scotch Whiskys".
(Though now that I've said that, let's see how long it takes Keane to name one
:-) ).

Steve Russo
2013-08-05 16:02:32 UTC
Post by Rudeney
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Rudeney
fun of me because I like Johnnie Walker Red over Black. It's just my tastes.
Yet a single mention of Bud Light...
You brought it up this time! And honestly, I don't think there is any Scotch
that is so bad as to deserve the title, "The Bud Light of Scotch Whiskys".
(Though now that I've said that, let's see how long it takes Keane to name one
:-) ).
I "inherited" a bottle of Old Smugglers (that's close) from a deceased
relative and it was pretty bad.
Steve
Keane
2013-08-06 00:30:49 UTC
On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 16:02:32 +0000 (UTC), Steve Russo
<snip>
Post by Steve Russo
Post by Rudeney
You brought it up this time! And honestly, I don't think there is any Scotch
that is so bad as to deserve the title, "The Bud Light of Scotch Whiskys".
(Though now that I've said that, let's see how long it takes Keane to name one
:-) ).
I "inherited" a bottle of Old Smugglers (that's close) from a deceased
relative and it was pretty bad.
Vat 69. Maybe it was House of Stewart. It was one of those scotches
where people's last words were, "I don't see how they can make any
money when they sell it for five dollars a fifth..." just before they
died. Got a hangover so bad it swore me off of scotch for 10 years.
(Today, it would probably kill me.)

Uncut Wild Turkey might fit in there, too, or so I'm told.

Keane

Rudeney
2013-08-02 14:39:48 UTC
Post by Steve Denham
On 7/31/2013 11:08 AM, Rudeney wrote: > My take: > * Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park There is very little I like about this restaurant. The food is mediocre and overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by saying it's difficult to impress a Southerner with barbeque. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting two barbeque joints, and most of them are very good. In fact, I can only think of one (Sonny's, a chain) that I don't like. -- -
Um, I realize that I was a Yankee for the seven years I lived in Florida, but I did come to like Sonny's a lot. And on the last two trips back, the first place I stopped at after picking up the rental car was at Sonny's. So, as a former Gainesvillain (home of the original Sonny's), give your reason for the dislike, Sir!
Well, the meat was OK, I mean, it's pretty hard to screw up smoked meat, but
the sauce was nasty - like ketchup with some extra seasoning, not even as good
as Kraft from a bottle. And their side dishes all tasted like "boiler bag"
food. To me, the experience was like going to some place like Denny's and
ordering barbeque. Yes, it there on the menu, but it's not their forte, so
you really can't complain. Of course Sonny's was (is, where they still exist)
supposed to be a "barbeque restaurant" so there's just no excuse.

The thing is, we many really great barbeque places here that pride themselves
on their unique sauces, tender smoked meats and hand-made, specially seasoned
side dishes. So when a mediocre place opens up, it's not going to last. We
have a few local chains that started as hole-in-the-wall "joints", like Pat
James' Full Moon Barbeque and Jim-n-Nicks. They take the lions share of
business. We used to have Ollie's which was not only famous for barbeque but
a couple of legal cases (segregated dining which went before the US Supreme
Court, and another at the state level that became US case law dealing with
employee fighting and the employer's responsibilities). There are others,
like Dreamland and even some hole-in-the-wall joints that come and go. Some
of my favorite barbeque can be found in little roadside shacks in rural areas.
Back when we had a lake house, there were two (actually still there) that
were near it that kept us fed.

If you happen to run across a Jim-n-Nicks, make sure you try their habenero
sauce and the beef brisket. :-)

Keane
2013-08-03 09:21:48 UTC
Post by Rudeney
Post by Steve Denham
On 7/31/2013 11:08 AM, Rudeney wrote: > My take: > * Flaming Tree BBQ, Animal Kingdom Park There is very little I like about this restaurant. The food is mediocre and overpriced. Of course I will qualify that by saying it's difficult to impress a Southerner with barbeque. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting two barbeque joints, and most of them are very good. In fact, I can only think of one (Sonny's, a chain) that I don't like. -- -
Um, I realize that I was a Yankee for the seven years I lived in Florida, but I did come to like Sonny's a lot. And on the last two trips back, the first place I stopped at after picking up the rental car was at Sonny's. So, as a former Gainesvillain (home of the original Sonny's), give your reason for the dislike, Sir!
Well, the meat was OK, I mean, it's pretty hard to screw up smoked meat,
Oh yes you can. It's all about the rubs, and I've had some that were
questionable, and some hot ones that killed the flavor.
Post by Rudeney
but
the sauce was nasty - like ketchup with some extra seasoning, not even as good
as Kraft from a bottle.
That's a Memphis thing. KC is close to it.

Always get the sauce on the side.

Keane

Rudeney
2013-08-05 14:58:43 UTC
Post by Keane
Post by Rudeney
Post by Steve Denham
[...]
What I meant was it's hard to screw up the meat itself from the smoking
process, but it's easy to screw up the rubs and sauces that dress it.
Post by Keane
Post by Rudeney
but
the sauce was nasty - like ketchup with some extra seasoning, not even as good
as Kraft from a bottle.
That's a Memphis thing. KC is close to it.
Always get the sauce on the side.
I always do that!

Keane
2013-07-31 20:17:24 UTC
Post by Rudeney
Post by Keane
[...]
Let's go the other way. What's not on the list but should be?

Not the turkey leg cart in MK, but the Toluca Legs Turkey Company
on Sunset Blvd in DHS. Nothing beats the turkey legs on Sunset
Boulevard...

Citricos.

Boma.

Artist's Point.

Sunshine Seasons.

Raglin Road.

Tusker House.

Cape May. (Okay, *I* really like Cape May. :-) )

Wetzel's Pretzels. (Okay, maybe that's a personal preference...)

(Yes, I'm backing up some data...)

Keane

Steve Russo
Steve
Rudeney
2013-08-02 14:10:31 UTC
Post by Keane
Let's go the other way. What's not on the list but should be?
Not the turkey leg cart in MK, but the Toluca Legs Turkey Company
on Sunset Blvd in DHS. Nothing beats the turkey legs on Sunset
Boulevard...
Yes, the legs from TLTC do seem better!
Post by Keane
Citricos.
I've not tried it, but have heard nothing but good things.
Post by Keane
Boma.
Ditto.
Post by Keane
Artist's Point.
Compared to some of the others on the list, yes, but overall, it's not as good
as Outback, but twice the price, so I wouldn't put it on my list.
Post by Keane
Sunshine Seasons.
Oh yeah! One of my favorite places - counter or table service. All counter
service at WDW should be half this good.
Post by Keane
Raglin Road.
Ditto!
Post by Keane
Tusker House.
Yep, Boma Jr.
Post by Keane
Cape May. (Okay, *I* really like Cape May. :-) )
I've never eaten there. We had planned to on one trip, then changed plans.
It's on the to-do list.
Post by Keane
Wetzel's Pretzels. (Okay, maybe that's a personal preference...)
Yep.

Keane
2013-08-03 09:14:05 UTC
Post by Rudeney
Post by Keane
Let's go the other way. What's not on the list but should be?
Not the turkey leg cart in MK, but the Toluca Legs Turkey Company
on Sunset Blvd in DHS. Nothing beats the turkey legs on Sunset
Boulevard...
Yes, the legs from TLTC do seem better!
It's the screams from ToT...
Post by Rudeney
Compared to some of the others on the list, yes, but overall, it's not as good
as Outback, but twice the price, so I wouldn't put it on my list.
Well, I had the bison, which I think I even stated was better than
PiC's filet. I thought it was very good, except for the people
watching us eat from their balcony...
Post by Rudeney
Post by Keane
Wetzel's Pretzels. (Okay, maybe that's a personal preference...)
Yep.
It's the best hot dog you can get on WDW property, though I've
never eaten at Biergarten to see if they had any meat in tube
form that was like a hot dog...

Keane